5.09.2010

Samuel and Joseph

My first link to Kelly's korner blog, it is a great blog, great questions, so I decided to answer this week!

I must have a million girl names floating around in my head.  A million ways to shorten their name, to incorporate family names, but I have been lucky to name two sweet boys.

Samuel George Cristian
I remember the day we finally chose our first son's name.  It was in late August 2005 and we had just submitted our application to adopt our first child - a son.  We had taken the day off to complete a homestudy visit in Evansville and stopped by a pottery place to make something for our child to be.   I chose to make a sweet photo frame and DH made a baseball piggy bank. 
As he finished he asked me to write the name Samuel on it.
{Gasp} After a few unsuccessful attempts/ hopes at conceiving a child on our own, we had many names floating around. I don't really remembering there being a final discussion, but I loved it.  I loved that DH was confident, trusted in God's plan.   This name for me carries all I hoped for, for many years.  Samuel is also a family name great grandfathers on both sides bear this name.  Prior to receiving our referral, we had already chosen to name him after my father using George as his middle name. 
Samuel's given birth name is gorgeous,  Cristian Celestino.
So in order to honor his birthname, we chose to keep Cristian as a second middle name.
Shortly after we met Samuel the first time, he became Sam.  And I love all the nicknames it has lead to since.
Sam, Sammy, Sammy Poo, Samuel George, Georgie, Sammy G.

Joseph Daniel Luis
Our choices to name our second son hinged fully on our first son's name.  It should be shortened to 3 letters.  It needed to 'fit' with Samuel.  We field so many questions surrounding our adoption, a simple name seemed to work well.  And with all these rules, we still had choices floating around!
More specifically we were deciding between Elijah and Joseph, waiting to see his birthname.
Our referral came and our name came too!

Since our little darling had been given the birthname name of Jose, the spanish form of Joseph, we chose to keep this is as his first name.  Joseph is after his Grandpa Donnie Joe and my uncle Joseph.  DH asked for this sweet boy to be named after him and we loved the name Luis.
Joseph Daniel Luis was named!
And once again, I have never loved a name more, it just fits.
And the nicknames are endless.
Joe, Joey, Joey D, Joey Jukers, Jukes, Biggie Smalls {i know nothing to do with Joseph}.

I have loved naming my boys, now don't even get me started on girl names.  I love them all traditional, spunky, fun spellings, cool meanings.  I don't know how I would ever decide...!