11.23.2017

Land Between the Lakes, KY

Sweet Morgan gifted me with a gift card for a weekend at Patti and Mr. Bills in KY.
We had a hotel stay, dinner voucher, and tickets to the theater.
I was very excited to redeem the gift certificate, deliberate time with my family - yes, please!
I booked our room and dinner back in late August, thank goodness the place was jammed since it was one of their 1st weekends decorated for Christmas.
Our family has been here a couple of other times and enjoyed the restaurants and ATV trails.
We arrived mid day and showed the boys the locks and dams,
we tried to see one in action but it was Saturday so no were operating.



 Look how cold that water looks, brrrrr.
It was a windy day with a chill in the air, afternoon was warmer!

 We found a BBQ place for lunch that all 3 boys loved, I'd rather have a salad, ha!
Then we headed south to find the Elk and Bison reserve, as soon as I saw this sign I remembered driving thru with Scott and Chris's kids years ago.

We had a slow trek thru the loop, we stopped for some Elk
that were very far off... but then we rounded the corner
and caught a glimpse of Bison thru the trees.
Awesome, we hoped we would see 4 - ok, that was me.
I was thinking that maybe 3 or 4 would live in this reserve...

And then we saw many like 20 and they were CLOSE>
they are very used to the vehicles.





Like right outside our windows with no zoom close!

Allow me to try to set this up to remember the laughter forever...
we had just passed this large herd, you can see them in this shot...
so what I mean is I could still see them and they were headed in our direction...
 Joe wanted to read about them so we jumped out of the safety of our minivan (safe)
into the open air (not safe) - he was reading the information to me when all of the sudden
I hear a snuffing and roaring noise and I thought we were gonners...
like seriously nothing would come out of mouth. 
I turned to the van to get Dan's attention, sure there was a Bison
just beyond this rock formation and we were in his sights, and Dan was in the van
looking at his cell phone...seriously!?!?
I could feel my heart in the throat.
 Joe was also stunned but not as much as mom, because he had realzied
that his belly had hit a sound button on the information board.  
There was no bison ready to eat us.
Do they even eat people?
Come to think of it, they looked very content eating that grass.
I'm just saying, it was very real in the moment, very real.

We made another loop around and found this monster grazing alone.
 Loved the Elk and Bison reserve!