10.11.2009

Snuggling with Sam


Last night, I tucked Sam into his warm bed and began to make my way out of his room. As I began to leave I could hear that Joe was settling down while daddy rocked him and sang him to sleep (so, figuring that if I entered that room I would just stir things up) I was delighted when I heard Sam say...mama, will you lay with me?
Mama: Yep
Sam (scoots over and flips the covers back).
Mama: I love you Sam
Sam: I love you Mama. I love that he calls me that. {Mommy is more common in these parts.}
And I love Joey. And I love Daddy. And I love Guato&Mala. And I love ...insert every single member of our family.
Mama: Sam, do you love God?
Sam: Yes. He will show us the way.
Mama (stunned): Yes, he will, anytime we ask and trust in him.
Sam: Where does he live?
Mama: In your heart. If you ask him. He lives in Mama's heart and Daddy's heart.
Sam: Does he live in here (pointing to his heart).
Mama: Yes, Sam, I think he does.
Sam: Good, He can show us the way to Sammy's park...the X on the treasure map.
Mama: Yep, I think he will if you ask him to.
Granted we don't have deep conversations like this at our home most evenings, usually we review the letters that have been studied at preschool or I try to pry out of him what he ate for lunch that day. But, suffice it to say, I was happy, satisfied that my child knows His God.
I simply pray that I may continue to lead him in this way.