2.08.2014

String Art with Kids!

We tried our hand at string art on Thursday.
It was impromptu...I am bad (or good) for that.
I'll see a project I'd like to try then do it without collecting the
exact materials needed...but these turned out pretty good
And cost was...materials on hand!
When I was staining trim, I found these left over wood pieces and gave them a quick stain.
Let them dry and gathered some trim nails.
Here is where I wish I had planned a bit...
wish I had silver nails so that they stood out a bit more
also wish I had a solid color of string also so that it stood out a bit more.
They boys were happy though.
I can talk Joe into any craft.
Sam had to see Joe's before he had any interest what so ever, ha.

 
I freehanded the letters for their names.  I am sure that there would be a more exact
way to do that like a cameo (don't have) or printed out from word (don't have the patience)
...I don't measure anything at home.
I do that at work, ha!

 
I placed each nail and started it and let the boys pound them in.
I lined them up a bit more with the J, but the S...I did not and
once they were done I could not tell.



 The reality is he lost interest, but I was engrossed and relaxing my way right thru it,
 he kept me entertained by dancing in circles.
 And after we played in the snow this one was ready to give it a try.
He did not lose interest.  From step one to the end.  It was a great craft for his age.  He was able
to do more and with a little better result, typically the two are pretty even on crafts.

 
One key was wrapping the border of the letter at the end.
The outline really helped pull it all together!


 
The string had a little shimmer to it and it not photo well.
Happy with our result though! 
Sam wants to do the state of Indiana, stay tuned!
 

Pin It