7.28.2008

My dad's boot



My dad's boot is one of my prized possessions. Seems kinda different, I know. It sits right in the middle of my mom's Fiesta dishes. It warrents a question from a friend every now and then and I am always willing to tell the story of my dad's boot. I sure hope I have this right because my dad is one of 10 siblings. I am sure they will let me know if the story has been passed on wrong!
My dad was a wee little one, probably around 2-3years old. They had gone to Aunt Eddie's (yes, at least that is how it is pronounced)house and were down by the creek. This is a creek that I played in often as child and it swells and runs pretty swift at times. Well, as the story goes, my dad nearly got swept away in the swift creek as he was playing. He was pulled to safety, but lost a boot. The remaining boot always sat on our mantle or somewhere around the house as I was growing up. I love that worn out boot and I am ever so thankful that my dad was pulled to safety as a young tot.

I am also ever so thankful of my perfect memories of my dad. We lost my dad when I was 8 in a coal mining accident. The memories of that day are forever engrained in my mind - memories that we don't have any pictures of, so I am certain that I recall these from memory. I struggle with this because I think many of my other memories are evoked from looking a pictures. My mom was really good about taking pictures and I am thankful for these memories.

It is hard to believe that my dad has been gone for over 20 years, because at times I can recall a soothing smell or even hear the sound of his voice if I think hard enough. I often will see someone who resembles my father. Funny thing is, it doesn't make me sad, it comforts me. How lucky am I that I have perfect memories. You see, I don't remember any shortcomings or bad habits about my dad. He was a hard working man devoted to his family (and I mean the whole family). My dad loved Little League baseball, diet rite, his brown pleather recliner, Chevy trucks, St. Louis Cardinals, his family farm, cutting wood for the winter, vacations in the Smokey Mtns., the Loogootee Lions, playing softball and wresting on the 'red' rug in our living room. He loved my mom and his kids and we knew it.

Next time that loved one drives you crazy, consider the things you'd put in their paragraph - I bet it would look a lot like the things I mentioned about my dad!

My dad's birthday was July 26, wish he'd been here to celebrate...