10.13.2017

The Great Break Down

Along the farming days came a time when DH convinced me to join him
on a trip to the bean hauling place.
Yes, I said I would love to join you on a hot fall day taking a load of beans to
Evansville in a 1984 Kenworth semi with vinyl seats with no AC.
It sounds romantic.
I might as well...I had spent 3 hours in the AM in the heat at tennis for Sam and 1.5 hours after that at soccer for Joe...but by 2 I had grabbed a bit to eat and cooled off a bit so I was up for it.

Thought these little fans were charming...little did I know.

He loved the company, those long hauls are pretty lonely.
Along the way we chatted a bit and laughed a lot.
It's serious business to driving a semi, one my farmer doesn't take lightly.
He concentrates a lot and teaches me about the semi.

Oh, but then...this
a breakdown
on 69
somewhere
 in the middle of 
nowhere
And those smiles faded into this.
But, really we laughed and sweated
And my phone had not been charged so I saved my 29% battery
and goggled if I was supposed to stay in the semi or get out
and I was supposed to stay.
DH assessed the situation, and called Grandpa and Grandpa Great.

And that battery was ticking away but I got our weekend getaway in November planned!
The lady I called thought it was very funny that I was calling broke down on the side of the road!

It wasn't long and Grandpa and Grandpa Great came all the way from home 
with 5 gallon buckets of water and new radiator cap (ours had come off)
and we were cooled right down and we headed on down to the ADM bean place.

But not before his gem.  My normally flat to my head hair  had found a little life..it was standing straight out..this was with no fan.  Seriously wind blown and sweat had infused a little life!
A welcome sight at ADM....