8.31.2009

Time with Sammy


Tonight after dinner and dishes, daddy took Joe to take the camper back to our friends (thanks for letting us borrow it, Brent and Melissa) so Mama got some quality time with Sam.
I let him choose and it was CandyLand. It has been a month or two since we had it out. We played a lot before Joe came home but since he seems to reek havoc on the whole game playing. It was fun to refresh my memory on how good he is at this game. He is very skilled at the colors and the counting and understands very well the object of the game. So well, in fact that he said...
Sam: I am going to cheat you mama, as I got a card that put me ahead
Mama: {Gasp} Sam, where did you learn that? Do you understand what that means? {knowing full well that he doesn't understand the full meaning, but is certain that it might get him the ending he wants...went on to explain that God prefers us to be honest and how to be honest}
Sam: Ok, Mama. Can I be the yellow {the one who was ahead} man now?

Nonetheless, I was glad to play this classic game with Sam again tonight, to remember that he can follow directions, take turns, reconize & recite colors and make movements that have and ultimate goal. Not so proud to see that he has added the word cheat to his vocabulary

So tell me, do you use these times as teaching moments and how much do you persist? Or do we chalk it up to them being kids?