9.03.2009

Preschool Time Already

So, when this magazine came in the mail a few weeks ago, I quickly tossed it aside. That cover didn't apply to me...I have little boys.
Then I reluctantly recalled that my older little boy was going to preschool in September. I still set it aside thinking that was over a month away. It is not a month away anymore.
And my older little boy is so ready for preschool. He know his colors and shapes and numbers and letters, he needs to practice them more. He needs to learn to write letters and especially how to find his way in a big group of kids.
Last night we attended preschool open house. Sam was reluctant to go. Daddy pulled up the the pharmacy so we could all grab some dinner and head over. Sam was sad and he told me he didn't want to go. As soon as I told him I would stay the whole time, he was ready.
We got to the open house and it was flurry of activity. All the kids and the parents of kids in one room. It was my first real experience at meeting the parents of kids, it was fun to realize that these parents will be familiar as our kids attend school together thru the years. Sam played well and independent until he was overwhelmed, but by then I scooted him out the door. We found his name on the wall, I showed him the potty, and we headed home to tell daddy about it (daddy to Joe to our usual youth bible study).
And the thing that helps even more. Drew will be there (and Kyleigh,too). Sam and Drew have begun to play well together. They will be in the same class, hope they are buddies forever.
And what hurts the most? It feels like this is the first step in him really growing up. Running off, being independent...but that is what we wish for right?
Next Tuesday is our 1st day of preschool. I say ours because we are gonna do it together!
Lord,
I lift up Sam to your care while he embarks on this new step in his life of preschool. I pray that he will be confident and comfortable, that he will look forward to going to preschool, that he will share and be polite, but most of all that he will flourish in preschool. Each new step for him brings fear for me, I pray that I will be strong for him, guide him and have the right words to encourage him. I cannot wait to see how this adventure unfolds...
Amen