10.08.2011

Giant Outdoor Checkers!

I'm sure I saw this idea on the internet, but I didn't save the link!
I knew it would be perfect for our upcoming youth church campout
so I set out to make it happen (back in July, hence the beautiful sushine!)


I found these perfect sized frisbees at the dollar store and picked up 26 (1 extra of each)

And then my personal assistants/human tape measure and friends
Blake (on the phone) and Allison helped me visualize if the tarp they had
would be the right size.  It would be just right!



I called accountant husband who crunched the numbers and told me the dimensions of
each square (rectangle, shhhh don't tell). But then just before I started, I decided to measure.


And it was well off their 9x12 listed on the package so we refigured our squares.

I used this carboard template to lay around where I was not painting. 
(it resembled a picture frame and I painted the middle)
and then I started spraying...
Started with 2 cans of black paint
but ended up using 6 cans!


And left it in the sun to dry while we took a swim.
It was sooooo super hot when we made this stinker
that we didn't play with it for a couple of weeks.
I was beginning to wonder if all the work was for nothing!
But, it turned out great...


And up close, it is certainly no beauty, but it really has a 'rustic' vibe going on!
We have used it several times and the teens it was intended to enterain thought it was a hoot!