1.11.2018

Grabers Go Ice Fishing

Several days in a row we were stuck in the below 20 degrees range.
That is a pretty unusual for Indiana.  We started most days for nearly a week below zero
and the first two days back from Christmas break were on delay due to the cold temps!
We were very thankful for heat and a garage!
The water meter froze at my work (this has never happened before in 9 previous years)
and the farm had some frozen water lines...and he fired 2 wood stoves for several days while Grandma and Grandpa were out of town for a mission trip...
 All of those cold days left the ponds and smaller lakes frozen and DH
was excited for ice fishing.  He went to his dad's on Friday, a pond they are familiar with
and drilled hole and caught 10 fish in a very short time.  

He told me we were going on Saturday...


See that smile...yeah it was fear until a good 20 minutes into the adventure.
 I had researched and googled and asked around (Uncle Ed said it was safe)
and it wasn't that I didn't trust Dan but out in the middle of a pond..on ice?
Eeks.

We did have an amazing time after I relaxed and the more I thought about it,
I don't remember Dan ice fishing very often in our time together leading me to believe
that he wouldn't go unless it were very safe.






 Did you know ice pops?  Like a boink and that means good ice?
What.?!?  Yeah it scared the daylights out of me.  
But, it does this whether people are on it or not.

 Look at that small hole.  I really like the ice fishing pole.
Did I mention is was less than 10 degrees?
I don't remember being that cold, but I am certain that I could not feel my toes.


 The second hole drilled down almost to where it met water underneath.
It was THICK.
 And being present for this guy's smile when he landed his first fish was 
so worth it!


And this guy took the prize for the biggest fish...what a gem!






We enjoyed our time on the ice and then enjoyed a movie, Jumungi together!


And we came back home to fry up our afternoon catch!
Delicious, they tasted so very fresh because they were COLD before frying.