6.19.2008

Birthday Girl

My niece Jaelyn turned 5 yesterday! I love this photo of her, during our vacation, I had a hard time getting her to smile for the camera, but her personality is so sweet that she cannot resist a shy smile. She is such a beautiful mix of my brother and his wife. She has pretty skin and thick hair - and eyes that just talk without words. I am extra proud of you Jaelyn - and I cannot belive that kindergarten is later this summer! I know you will do great!
After we got back from the beach on our 1st day there, she sat with me on the deck outside our room and asked what I was doing. I told her I was listening to the waves. She asked what they were saying. I laughed and told her that they are relaxing. She just smiled.
Five years ago, I was given an opportunity of a lifetime. Will called from Indy and said Jill was in labor. Jill's mom Janice was coming up and we could ride together. We got to the hospital around noon that day. We were in and out of the room and by around 3am when Jaelyn finally came, they said we could stay in the delivery room. Whether it was planned that way or they were both delirious, it has been a moment I have always cherished. I can remember those moments like it was yesterday - Jaelyn's squished face; Jill telling Will to focus on her and not her nurse coach (we discovered she was from our area minutes before birth!); tears of joy from my brother, and Grandma Janice holding her 1st granddaughter. At the time, I thought it was preparation for my turn that was surely just around the corner, right? Well, I now know it was more than that, it was my chance to see a miracle. It is not likely that I will have birthchildren and while I am just fine with this...
I am ever so grateful to have experienced this -
one true miracle. Thank you.