2.12.2012

Rx mama

I love being a pharmacist.
I do really, I did work hard thru a lot of years of school
to learn all the drug stuff. 
I think I might have missed some of that crazy college stuff because I studied a lot. 
But there was so much more to learn when I graduated.
I worked as a retail pharmacist part time for a year while I finished my doctorate,
and thought that wasn't enough...
I changed to the world of clinical pharmacy, ran my own lipid and INR clinic,
loved that part but there was some office work with formularies that got me down.
Come to find out I liked the clinics and offered shifts in the clinic pharmacies whenever possible...
left me realizing that my heart was in retail pharmacy.
So back to retail pharmacy it was, been there for a few (ahem 10 years, yikes)and still lovin' it.
I've been with WB for almost all 10 of those, wouldn't change it.
Like I said there was a lot to learn, certainly still is! 
But amongst my favorite things I have learned is that what our patients really
want is someone to rely on, to show them compassion and service,
a consistent face month after month so that 2 years down the road I will
remember that cream they tried that didn't work and we will move forward
and try another and if I'm really good I will remember to ask about their recent vacation
that they didn't take me on...ha! 
The best part about working my way to being a manager
is all the people I have worked with along the way. 
There will always be challenges with managing different personalities but when
they all mesh together you can come up with something great.
That something great has lead my coworkers and I to be  TIGER team champions for 2011.
Tiger teams is something our company created to celebrate accomplishments of our different departments.
I was excited to show our team we had been selected for 2011 so Sammy took
this picture of me so I could text my coworkers!


But the best part of this award...
the best part hands down
is sharing it with my boys.

They were so proud of my trophy. 
 Sam admired it and said that he didn't know moms could get trophies.
*Smile* Melt my heart.  He really is proud.

But, here come the mom guilt...
I'm also sad because there are days that dedication at work
turns into exhaustion at home.
Giving all.day.long. at work to others needs leaves me a little selfish at home.
{Sigh}
Somedays I get short with them, sigh out loud (ergh) when they ask for the 15th drink of the night.
DH is sooooo much better at that than I am, wish I had his patience.

Seeing situations at work that are desperate or sad also makes me a better mom,
they make me come home energized and ready to hug their necks a little tighter.

Being a working mom is just a part of who I am.  I think I would love to stay at home,
but I have never done that.  I must admit it has made transitions to prescool and kindergarten
seamless for us, we are able to leave them with others {always family cause we are lucky like that}.
Truth is, I would miss the relationships I have made with coworkers and patients.
I look forward to counseling patients, sharing coworkers joys, and showing my
boys that mama is a successful pharmacist.