2.25.2012

Mom's Marbles Reminded Me

Today has been a heartwarming, soul satisfying kind of day.
I had seen an idea for marble painting (more later),
so I got my jar of marbles out.
Well, my mom's marbles.  She really liked them, some were from
her childhood and some were from our childhood games.
They were always in this jar in our family room.
It made me really miss her today.
But I spent the day doing the things she would have done,
with a little internet love sprinkled in (I think she would love pinterest, too)

Our first attempt at marble painting reminded me that making
moments we have together count is really important

arranging a fun special snack of oranges, fruit leather, raisins, and oreos
for my boys, reminded me that showing them love like this can
make even the most ordinary taste extraordinary

arranging our mantle for spring reminded me of my mom's special bay window
that she decorated for every holiday
(I mean every holiday, she even decorated it for Loogootee Lions at sectional time..usually including my cabbage patch dolls in their handmade cheerleader costumes)

stopping in the middle of it all to make DH a quick lunch of grilled chicken salad after a long cold morning at the farm reminded me we should nurture the relationships that God has graciously given us

trading the valentine red fiesta dishes for the green/blue ones,
reminded me of how the colors of these dishes evoke memories my mom's
colorful dining room

giving new life to the special valentine flowers I received
reminded me of the saturday flower arranging class my mom took me too
at VU when I was a young girl

 stashing a couple of votive candles in those dishes, for a quick burst of
clean linen scent as you pass reminded me that I miss the smell of my childhood home and that this was one of my mom's secrets to making it smell that way

letting this little one lick the batter reminded me that he may not always be interested
in helping me make brownies

And letting them spread pieces all over the floor reminded me
that this is their home,
the place they are making these childhood memories for themselves

This started as an ordinary stay at home Saturday, but I am sure glad that it has turned into
heart warming satisfing Saturday.  We are headed to enjoy the evening with friends, can't wait!