4.06.2010

Celebrating Mala

On the way to preschool this morning Sam was convinced that it must be someone's birthday.
We went thru everyone we he could think of (that list was shorter)
but no, it was not their day until he asked about our cat.
Yes, I thought to myself, we did get him last spring. 
Sure it must be Mala's birthday.
Seemed to satisfy both of us, as the conversation turned to what we were going to do
with the freight cars on the railroad track ahead. 
They are there every morning. 
The same ones.
How do I know they are the same? 
 The grafitti.
But this morning, Sam seemed to want to know how we should move them.
I know he said, let's flip our van into a train and pull them to the station...
love his imagination.

So we returned home tonight to see Mala.
I had forgotten all about it being Mala's birthday.  Sam did not.
So we made Mala a homemade sign with sidewalk chalk.
 I thought a few extra rubs and a little kitty talk would satisfy all...
then Sam said, what about a cake.
Yes, agreed Joe.
I remembered some pretty weak low fat snack cakes hanging out in the cabinet.
Back to the celebration mama appeared with a cake
At which point we sang happy birthday
and Sam exclaimed, wait till you see your balloons and presents Mala.
Ok, I seriously thought about blowing up balloons, but then convinced the boys to draw the balloons and presents... genius, right?!?

Tonight I also figured out this saying he rehearses all day long.
Sam talks very clear in a low monotone voice so most things are well understood...
Sam: So, what can a cat do that a mouse cannot.
Mama: I don't know Sam
Sam:  (as heard by mama) Cat's a mouse.
I have heard this over and over until it made sense tonight.
Sam: (as mama finally figured out) Catch a mouse.
This reminded me over being on vacation last week when Sam kept exclaiming as he surfaced from the water. " I died".  It was loud and startling.  I would quickly explain to him about how it was not nice to say that...blah, blah, blah.  When it finally hit me that he was saying he dived.
I know what DH is thinking as he reads this...get it together mama.