10.20.2008

A surprise at daybreak

What started as a peaceful night last night turned stormy and ended like to perfect calm after a storm...wanna hear more? OK, so I won't try my hand as an author, I will go back to work as a pharmacist after my blissful time as a SAHM is over.

The events unfolded like this: we went to church, then to a youth party at a wonderful couple's home. The party was a lot of fun and we played a guessing game with all the other youth. We laughed so hard, it felt good. Dan and I had to cut the evening short and we left at 9:30 to put the kids to bed.
Both kids went to sleep like a dream...and slept until 2:30am; Sam struggles with bloody noses and this one came out of nowhere. He began blood curly screams at this time, I don't blame him, I am sure they are scary, hurt?, etc. Not long after Joe and Dan were awake, too. The only thing that would calm him last night was Thomas the Train (imagine that). Dan took him to watch for a few minutes and I calmed Joe. Well, kinda, he was wide awake. So, we laid down in Sam's bed together. Joe was sound asleep by the time Sam came back to bed and he wanted to lay in bed with me...dan moved Joe to his crib and we settled in once again. This lasted a while, but not all night, he woke up again and wanted to go with Dad...I took him over.

{Why do I tell you this entire story, I think because it is hard to appreciate the end results until you've heard the whole story. Also, I don't really need any lectures about our sleeping habits -this was an odd night!}

Sam lays with Dan for awhile, and then turns to him and says:
Sam:Dad
Dan: Yes, Sam.
Sam: You are making that noise again....
Dan: Laughs at himself and Sam and says, "I roll over Sam, so I don't make that noise"
-score a victory for mama's side, someone else finally heard that sound!

Then, I woke up this morning and to get Sam out of bed because I heard him calling. He reached up for me to pick him up and gave me a kiss. I melted. It was a bad night, but it all went away in that one kiss that certainly felt like a thank you straight from the Master himself! Think it ends there?

I am reading a devotional called 101 Ways to Be a Great Mom. Lesson for today, #17 - Be Full of surprises. To quote the book: Every morning, the sun rises, But how it is going to rise - painting morning clouds raspberry red or perhaps behind a fog - is a surprise. That's just the way God works. He's consistent in what really matters, yet often unpredictable in his ways....it goes on more.

The verse is what really struck me.
Surprise us with love at daybreak: then we'll skip and dance all the day long.
Psalm 90:14

Thanks Sam, for suprising me with love at daybreak.
Mama