2.11.2010

Sam's First Valentines

We have had so much fun creating Sam's first Valentines for Preschool.
We got our idea from The Idea Room.
{love this site, have been blog lifting and will probably continue to do so!}
This project was so perfect for Sam. 
 It contained many steps but all ones that involved him!
Step 1:  Gather old crayons, broken ones are better.
I found these boxes of 64
(we used 2 boxes and made 50 hearts)in the dollar section.
Remove the wrappers - soaked in cold water they come right off.
Step 2: Make sure they are really dry. (Perfect for both helpers)
Step 3:  Kids broke the crayons and then we sorted them into like colors.
At this point I have no pictures b/c well,  I'm a real mama.
The one that was consoling Sam that it was ok to break crayons **this time**
and catching them as Joe wailed them overhead at me from across the bar.
Step 4:  Fill heart shaped muffin tin - {see it in the background above?} with crayon pieces.

Step 5: Bake in 350 degree oven for 8-10 minutes. Set on counter to cool, then put into freezer for 5-10 minutes. When they seperate from edges of the pan, they will pop right out as you invert pan.



I loved this project, one of my favs for sure!  At we have given a few so far-
they are a hit, although despite my best effort with the clue on the tag, most think they are edible chocolate?!?
Step 6:  Good practice for  a preschooler on writing his name.
I set Sam to work...

And he does so good, asked to do more!  He is generally a lefty, but as you can see in the photo above, he switched to this right hand a lot.  I think he is still learning, I encouraged him on keeping his pencil in his left hand.  His control is better there.  When he switches to his right hand, he often writes backwards maS.
But my favorite was a the end of the day when he was getting tired
he got the m mixed with a w and wrote
Sow. We gave that one to Kia!

Rest of Steps: All kid friendly - rainbow stripes (with your good crayons) for the word Color.  Stick glue the paper onto construction paper, place crayons into baggie and staple shut!!


OK, nice and tidy, right?  I mean she posted this in like 2 minutes.
Good then...times 28...Happy Crafting!

Is your mind like mine?  What other shapes can I make?  Oh the possibilites - and they work great, too.  We tested them out!