3.18.2010

Long Road Home

Yesterday, we laid my cousin Trenton, age 25, to rest eternally. 
About 3 years ago, we laid his older brother, age 34, to rest
and 15 years ago we laid their father to rest. 
All died before their time of heart failure
He leaves behind his mama, 2 sisters, 1 niece, 3 nephews and 1 on the way.

Being transparent, I was not prepared for how emotional it would be.

It was difficult to see my Aunt Becky greiving, to see her granddaughter trying to comfort her. 
It was even harder to see his young friends all gathered to console one another.

But, in the midst of the grief, I saw people not taking one another for granted. 
I enjoyed the tributes that were given in honor of Trent.
I cherished being with my dad's family and being transparent with our grief.
Because that emotion is real, we lost our family member.

Most of all I enjoyed the backroad ride home with my 2 brothers. 
We took the long way home, chatted and laughed together. 
We used to go on drives a lot with our parents in the early 80s, in my dad's chevy truck.
Back slider window open, all cramed together, turning the dial radio to find a county tune.
{I don't remember elbowing each other jockeying for space, although I am sure we did.}
I do remember laughing as the wind blew our hair on lazy Sunday afternoons.
I remember sitting on my mom's perfect lap and my dad's GPS of the backroads.

The only thing missing on our drive home yesterday was our parents, but somehow I think they were there.
And somehow I think they are cherishing their time in heaven, reaquainting with their nephew.